Along with being available to assist you with questions about local government and regional issues, the Franklin Regional Council of Governments also provides multiple resources, such as county road maps, surveys, directories, and training opportunities for municipal officials. Here are some highlights of our municipal resources:
Wage and Salary Survey : The FRCOG publishes the results of its Wage and Salary survey each winter, providing detailed information on municipal compensation and benefits packages for Franklin County local officials. Click on the link below for the most recent survey results.
Municipal Directory : The Franklin Regional Council of Governments annually publishes Municipal Directory a which lists contact information for municipal officials, departments, and services for each of the county’s 26 municipalities. FRCOG 2018-2019 Municipal Directory
If you find any inaccuracies or wish to update the information from your municipality for either the Wage and Salary Survey or the Municipal Directory, please do not hesitate to contact Rebekah Boyd at email@example.com or 413-774-3167, ext. 100.
District Local Technical Assistance (DLTA)
Thanks to the Baker/Polito Administration and the Legislature, the FRCOG is pleased to once again be able to offer member towns technical assistance on a wide variety of priority issues. Among the priorities that can be addressed using these DLTA funds are the Massachusetts Community Compact Best Practice Areas.
Vacant and Abandoned Buildings: Options for Town Officials: Vacant and abandoned buildings can be a financial drain on towns, can pose health and safety issues for residents and first responders, and can decrease the value of nearby properties. FRCOG Planning staff, partnering with our Cooperative Public Health Service, developed a Toolkit to help towns address vacant and abandoned buildings, focused on housing. The toolkit includes: 1) How to form a task force and who should serve on it, 2) How to inventory vacant and abandoned properties and set priorities for resolving issues and 3) how to follow various paths a town can pursue to clean up these properties. Click here to download a copy of the Toolkit. Learn about the Attorney General’s Abandoned Housing Initiative here. More information: Phoebe Walker at walkerATfrcog.org or (413) 774-3167 x 102.
Local Official Capacity Building Workshop Series
The Workshop Series is a monthly series that provides new and veteran town officials with continuing education on statutory requirements, best practices, and emerging issues of town governance. All town officials are always welcome. The workshops are free but we request that you register ahead of time. A flyer will be available before each workshop on the Meetings and Events calendar on this website. All workshops are held ONLINE VIA ZOOM DUE TO COVID UNTIL AT LEAST JANUARY 2021.
Materials from the Local Official Capacity Building Series 2020-2021
- Franklin County COVID Testing Capacity Fall Forecast – August 13, 2020
- Selectboard 101 – August 20, 2020.
- Municipal Reimbursement for COVID Expenses: An Information Session for Small Towns – September 10, 2020
- FinCOM 101 – November 5, 2020
- OSHA Compliance at Transfer Stations – November 12, 2020. Click on event title for full list of workshop handouts available.
- Roles & Responsibilities of Boards (Co-sponsor with Citizen Planner Training Collaborative and Pioneer Valley Planning Commission) – December 2, 2020
- Diversifying Rural Housing Opportunities: a presentation & discussion about undoing racial and economic inequities in Franklin County’s housing market – January 14, 2021. Co-presentation with the Citizens’ Housing and Planning Association (CHAPA).
- Funding Municipal Water & Sewer Infrastructure in Small Towns – February 24, 2021. Co-sponsored with BRPC, PVPC, Sens. Comerford & Hinds, and Rep. Blais.
- Click here for the event page, which contains all of the workshop slides.
- SAPHE Grant Information Session – March 8, 2021.
Materials from the Local Official Capacity Building Series 2019-20
- Budget and Tax Recap – DOR DLS –– from 10/7/19 workshop
- Safety Planning for Town Offices, Libraries, & Other Municipal Workplaces — notes & handouts from 1/9/2020 workshop
- Age-Friendly Community Planning — materials and resources from 12/5/2019 workshop
- Town Moderator Resources – from the 2/20/20 Moderator Roundtable
Materials from the Local Official Capacity Building Series 2018-19
- Short Term Rental Resources for Towns — from 3/7/19 workshop
- Slides from the State of the County’s Emergency Preparedness Training on 12/6/18
- Materials from the November 2018 Municipal Finance training:
Materials from the Local Official Capacity Building Series 2017-18
Short Term Rentals and Your Town
Elected Officials Preparedness Series
Mass Atty General Office Adult Use Cannabis Muni Info Session Notes
Abandoned Property Toolkit (see above)
Cannabis Control Commission presentation on final regulations
Materials from the Local Official Capacity Building Series 2016-2017
Commercial Wood Heat and Air Quality Peltier
Local Officials Climate Change Workshop Presentation materials
Public Records Law workshop 6/29/17: KP Law Presentation Slides
Materials from Selectboard Essentials Workshops, 2015-2016
USDA Rural Devpt. Presentation
USDA Program Matrix Handout Rev. 04 2015 (3)
DESE Regional School District Minimum Contribution Formula Presentation 2015.12.10
Town Financial Management Review 2015.9.16
Materials from Past Workshops:
Click here to review presentations from the Selectboard Essentials Series of 2014-2015
Click here to review presentations from the Selectboard Essentials Series of 2013-2014
Click here to see the materials from our 2014/15 Municipal Financial Management Workshop Series
Click here for materials from our 204/15 Conservation Commission Workshops
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for hard copies of the materials from a particular session.
Interesting Links for Local Officials
Franklin County Town Meeting dates
Other Municipal Agencies
Massachusetts Municipal Association
Franklin County Regional Agencies
- Franklin County Sheriff’s Office
- Franklin County Solid Waste Management District
- Franklin County Regional Housing Authority
- Franklin County CDC
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Office of Public Safety and Security
- Department of Housing and Economic Development
- Department of Transportation
- Department of Revenue
- Division of Local Services
- Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency
- State Data Center
Regional Planning Agencies
- Berkshire Regional Planning Commission
- Cape Cod Commission
- Central Massachusetts Regional Planning Commission
- Martha’s Vineyard Commission
- Merrimack Valley Planning Commission
- Metropolitan Area Planning Council
- Montachusett Regional Planning Commission
- Nantucket Planning and Economic Development Commission
- Northern Middlesex Council of Governments
- Old Colony Planning Council
- Pioneer Valley Planning Commission
- Southeastern Regional Planning & Economic Development District